Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sullivan Manor

So I got bored with the house the Sullivan Sims were in. It was cool and all, and I particularly loved the indoor courtyard, but designing homes and lots is one of my favorite things to do, so I got to work.

I started from the ground up. My houses are always close to the front of the lot, because I like big backyards.


I knew this wouldn't be the extent of the house, but it was a starting point. From there I started working on the approximate shape that I wanted, and chose a roof style.


I knew this wouldn't be big enough, so I expanded to the sides. I didn't want the house to be too big, because I've built monstrosities before that were so big, it took the Sims 30 Sim minutes just to walk to the kitchen for breakfast. I didn't want this house to be like that.

I started playing with features...added a paved walk to the front steps and I knew I wanted water somewhere, so I tried a few different things.



Here's the second floor. I started with six bedrooms before remembering that Youngbum and Tegan are a couple, and can share a room. I combined the two small front bedrooms into one big one. Guess who gets that one? If you guessed Erin and Joe, you're right, and it's the privilege I get for spending hours on this lovely house.



The Manor from the back. I knew I wanted to add a pool and a patio, so I left myself lots of room in the back. The two back bedrooms have small balconies. Lucky.


With the building done, I moved on to design. I finished the eat-in kitchen first, and then continued with the ground floor. I like having the ground floor open. None of the rooms on that floor have doors or walls, or even archways. There isn't a bathroom down there either. The Sims can move seamlessly from one public room to the next without worrying about someone standing in the doorway.


Design is one of my favorite parts of the game, but I really only used it in the public rooms and Erin and Joe's room, partly because I got bored of waiting for the create-a-design tool to load, and partly because I started to not care so much and just wanted the Sims to move in already.

Finally, the house was done. Here are views of the front and the back.


The house will come to close to emptying the Sullivan Sims' bank account, but it will be much roomier and cozier, not to mention prettier!

No comments:

Post a Comment